League of Legends patch 12.17 is on its way, and it’s a big one, as Riot gives the meta a shake up ahead of Worlds 2022. Three major championship updates for Maokai, Miss Fortune, and Hecarim headline the changes, but there are meta shifts across the map: here are the full patch notes.
Hype builds for Worlds 2022 as League of Legends teams around the world battle their way to the biggest stage of them all. Riot tries to keep things fresh in the game to make for an interesting, action-packed month, which is where League of Legends patch 12.17 comes in.
After a few minor updates as regions completed their qualifying processes, LoL patch 12.17 is the main meta-shifter for the World Championship. Three Champions will be getting a major overhaul—not quite like the Udyr rework, but—and the center lane will be getting some tweaks to shake things up up there.
Here’s what you need to know about LoL Patch 12.17, including the full notes and when it will go live.
Ahri is one of five mid-laners facing immediate changes in LoL patch 12.17.
When is LoL Patch 12.17?
League of Legends patch 12.17 is ready to go live September 8, 2022, right on schedule. However, it is a day later than the usual Wednesday release.
The 17th major patch of 2022 will roll out on Oceanic servers at 10 a.m. AEST, with a global rollout throughout the rest of the day.
Here are the key times:
- 3:00 AM PT (NA)
- 05:00 GMT (EUW)
- 03:00 CET (EUNE)
- 8AM KST (Korea)
There will be a few hours of downtime when patching begins, and matchmaking queues will be taken offline about three hours in advance.
What will change in LoL Patch 12.17?
Important updates for Maokai, Miss Fortune and Hecarim
With mid-scope updates seeing huge success and Riot pushing for more, three more League of Legends champions are receiving significant tweaks in LoL patch 12.17. The changes for Maokai, Miss Fortune, and Hecarim aren’t exactly mid-scope updates—but they’re getting close.
Maokai gains an edge to push him out of support and across the map into the summit and jungle. This will be a relief to the old minds of the Twisted Treant, who have had to deal with his overloaded support kit that forced him into the bot lane for some time.
Hecarim and Miss Fortune’s customizations aim to push their builds back to their intended identities. Hecarim will be less of a tank or assassin, and more of a powerhouse fighting in the midst of team battles. Miss Fortune will be incentivized to build more sniper-style items as well, rather than the lethality that has become popular.
Miss Fortune’s changes will improve her sniper-style builds.
Mid lane meta change: Azir, Ahri nerfed with Kassadin and Twisted Fate buffs
Riot has been tinkering with the League of Legends meta meta by lane for the past few months. First it was some top lane changes to get away from tanks, then some lane changes to stop the high Zeri-Sivir priority on all levels of play.
The mid lane is now the developer’s focus on the road to Worlds 2022. Five mid lane champions are in Riot’s crosshairs with three nerfs and two buffs. Azir, Ahri, and Sylas fall into the first group, with their durability taking the biggest hit, with Azir facing more damage-oriented nerfs.
As for buffs, Twisted Fate and Kassadin are getting some minor changes. Q from Kassadin costs less mana and has a lower cooldown, while Q from Twisted Fate deals more damage, while W costs less mana to get those powerful cars.
That plus changes to Stopwatch and Zhonya’s Hourglass—both getting more expensive, but getting more value to the full item—may see some variations in both mid-lane picks and how they’re specified.
Azir has risen in popularity during the second half of League of Legends Season 12.
New Zenith Games Skins
The Zenith Games are here in Runeterra, and some of League of Legends’ biggest sports stars are donning their regalia. Blitzcrank, Jayce and Lee Sin headline the brand new sports-themed skin line launching in LoL Patch 12.17.
Each skin launches with eight additional Chroma cosmetics that differ from the standard dark shades.
There is also an unrelated skindrop for Viego. Named King Viego, it returns the Devastated King in his human, Isolde-loving form before being corrupted.
You can find the full LoL patch 12.17 comments below, thanks to Riot. These are tentative until the September 8 patch release date, and we’ll keep you updated here.
LoL patch 12.17 notes
- Begging time: 1.4/1.55/1.7/1.85/2 seconds ⇒ 1.2/1.4/1.6/1.8/2 seconds
W: Get up!
E: Shifting sand
- Cooldown: 19/18/17/16/15 seconds ⇒ 22/20.5/19/17.5/16 seconds
Passive: adaptive defense
- Max health shield: 17% ⇒ 20%
- Bonus AD Ratio: 75% ⇒ 90%
E: Arcane shift
- Cool down: 28/25/22/19/16 seconds ⇒ 26/23/20/17/14 seconds
Question: End of the line
- Cool down: 12/11/10/9/8 seconds⇒13/11.5/10/8.5/7 seconds
R: Collateral damage
- Damage: 250/400/550 275/425/575
- Damage: 60/90/120/150/180 (+90% bAD) ⇒ 60/85/110/135/160 (+95% bAD)
- Damage per stack: 25 (+3% per 100 bAD) ⇒ 4% (+6% per 100 bAD)
- Cooldown reduction per stack: 1 second ⇒ 0.75 seconds
- Maximum number of stacks: 2 ⇒ 3
- Stack Loss: Everything at the end of the duration ⇒ 1 stack per second at the end of the duration
- Mana cost: 28/31/34/37/40 ⇒ 30
W: Spirit of Dread
- [NEW] Hecarim gains 15/20/25/30/35 armor and magical resistance while Spirit of Dread is active
E: Destructive cargo
- Minimal damage; 30/45/60/75/90 (+55% BD) ⇒ 30/45/60/75/90 (+50% BP)
- Maximum damage: 60/90/120/150/180 (+110% bAD) ⇒ 60/90/120/150/180 (+100% bAD)
- Minimum recoil: 250 ⇒ 150
- Maximum recoil: 450 350
- Cooldown: 20/19/18/17/16 seconds ⇒ 17 seconds
R: Attack of Shadows
- Anxiety Duration: 0.75-2 seconds based on distance traveled ⇒ 0.75-1.5 seconds based on distance traveled
Question: Null Sphere
- Cool down: 11/10.5/10/9.5/9 seconds 10/9.5/9/8.5/8 seconds
Passive: Juice Magic
- [NEW] Being hit by big jungle monsters reduces the cool down by 1 second per car
Question: Bramble Smash
- Base damage: 70/110/150/190/230 (+40% AP) ⇒ 65/110/155/200/245 (+40% AP)
- [NEW] Max. health damage: 2/2.25/2.5/2.75/3%
- [NEW] Now deals 20/35/50/65/80 bonus damage to monsters
E: throw sapling
- Maximum health damage removed
- Total base damage: 20/45/70/95/120 ⇒ 45/80/115/150/185 (+40% AP) (+3% tHP)
- Brush damage total: 40/90/140/190/240 ⇒ 75/135/195/255/315 (+80% AP) (+6% tHP)
- Empowered damage does not affect minions
- Mana Cost: 60/70/80/90/100 45/55/65/75/85
- Slow: 35% ⇒ 45%
- [NEW] Powerful brush slow amount: 55%
R: Nature’s grasp
- Rocket initial speed: 50 100
- Missile maximum speed: 650 750
- Rocket acceleration: 250⇒300
- [NEW] Movement speed on champion hit: 40/50/60% movement speed decreases in 2 seconds
- Physical Damage: 20/40/60/80/100 (+100% AD) (+35% AP) ⇒ 20/45/70/95/120 (+100% AD) (+35% AP)
- Throwing time: 0.25 seconds (corresponds to base attack time)
- Mana Cost: 45 ⇒ 35
- Attack Speed: 40/55/70/85/100% ⇒ 50/65/80/95/110%
E: Let it rain
- Cool down: 18/16/14/12/10 seconds ⇒ 18/17/16/15/14 seconds
- Full Damage: 80/115/150/185/220 (+80% AP) 70/100/130/160/190 (+100% AP)
- Slow: 40/45/50/55/60% ⇒ 50% (+4% per 100 AP)
R: Bullet Time
- Bonus Critical Chance Damage: 20% of each wave’s damage ⇒ 30%
E: Tideblesser’s Blessing
- Electrocution only counts as one claim
- Attack rate: 0.668 0.721
Passive: Umbra Blades
- Cool down: 14 seconds ⇒ 13 seconds
W: Ferromance: Crash Down
- Disassemble moving speed: 250⇒280
E: Attract and repel
- Cool down: 18/16.25/14.5/12.75/11 seconds ⇒ 15 seconds
Q: Clean up the meek
- Damage: 65/100/135/170/205 (+80% bAD) ⇒ 60/90/120/150/180 (+100% bAD)
- Empowered Damage: 100/150/200/250/300 (+120% bAD) ⇒ 90/130/180/220/260 (+140% bAD)
- Bonus AD Ratio: 20% 25%
- Attack damage growth: 3 ⇒ 2.8
- AD ratio: 30/35/40/45/50% 25/30/35/40/45%
Question: Chain Lash
- Cooldown: 10/9/8/7/6 seconds 11/10/9/8/7 seconds
- Cool down: 15/14/13/12/11 seconds ⇒ 16/15/14/13/12 seconds
W: Frozen domain
- Cool down: 15/14/13/12/11 seconds ⇒ 18/17/16/15/14 seconds
- Attack Speed: 0.711 ⇒ 0.68
- Movement speed: 345 340
- Cost: 2800 gold 3000 gold
- Attack damage: 40 ⇒ 45
- Cost: 650 gold 750 gold
- Cost: 2600 gold 3000 gold
- Power Power: 65 ⇒ 80
- Power rush: 10 ⇒ 15