League of Legends patch 12.9 is coming and Riot is ramping up the changes after MSI. Two new “mid-scope updates” are launching for Olaf and Taliyah, as well as a support-focused change for Pyke. Another dozen champions are on the developer’s hit list—here are the full patch notes.
After LoL patch 12.9 was calm with the balance changes, Riot says ‘we’re back’.
There are two reworks to look forward to, especially if you’re a main character of Olaf and Taliyah. Want some new supports to play? Braum and Thresh get buffs and Riot forces Pyke back to bone. Fans of Thebausffs should also keep an eye out for the “inting Sion” changes.
The changes won’t stop here either—Riot promises major balancing updates as the second half of the year approaches. We’ll save that for later.
And as always, a selection of new skins are arriving, including the Edward Gaming Worlds 2021 picks and new cosmetics for the High Noon line.
Here’s what you need to know about LoL patch 12.9, including when it reaches live servers.
When is League of Legends patch 12.9?
League of Legends patch 12.9 is ready to go live on May 11, 2022.
The ninth major patch of 2022 will roll out on Oceanic servers at 10 a.m. AEDT, with a global rollout throughout the rest of the day.
Here are the key times:
- 3 hours PT (NA)
- 05:00 GMT (EUW)
- 03:00 CET (EUNE)
- 8 hours KST (Korea)
There will be a few hours of downtime when patching begins, and matchmaking queues will be taken offline about three hours in advance.
What will change in League of Legends patch 12.9?
Olaf & Taliyah rework to ship according to MSI
Riot held back the release of Olaf and Taliyah’s edits until after MSI to keep the meta from changing too much, but now it’s here. With the international event being played on the previous patch, both champions will receive their “mid-scope updates” on LoL patch 12.9.
Olaf’s changes add “significant excitement to his gear” by ensuring that he lives up to his juggernaut identity. His jungle clear will be slightly worse due to Q and W changes, but he can now have his ultimate, Ragnarok, active indefinitely as long as he wails at enemies.
For Taliyah, the Stoneweaver is pushed back to the mid lane with more DPS and usability, but a tradeoff of lower burst damage. Her Worked Ground mechanic will now be less intrusive and she’s getting a lot of waveclear back after almost four years with the return of her AOE Q.
Riot continues with Pyke mid nerfs despite criticism
League developers continue nerfs to mid-lane Pyke in LoL patch 12.9 despite community criticism. While Riot is scaling back the “highly experimental” update, giving it an infinitely stackable execution threshold on its ultimate, there are still some changes coming in.
Pyke does not gain extra gold from the passive “Your Cut” if he gets the kill, or if an enemy dies before the cast is complete. However, he gets buffed in “supportive ways” to try and drag him back to the bot lane.
There are also nerfs in tow for the recently reworked Rengar and Ahri, while targeting the “inting Sion” strategy as well. Swain has avoided major changes after his mid-patch hotfix.
You can find the full League of Legends patch 12.9 comments below, courtesy of Riot. We will update these as they change with new PBE data through May 11.
League of Legends patch 12.9 notes
- Cool down: 12 seconds ⇒ 14 seconds
R: Spirit Rush
- Cool down: 130/105/80 seconds 140/115/90
- Cooldown target: 8/7/6 seconds (level 1/7/13) ⇒ 8/6/4 seconds
- Damage reduction: 30/32.5/35/37.5/40% ⇒ 35/40/45/50/55%
- AP and armor per soul: 0.75 ⇒ 1
W: Dark passage
- Shield: 60/90/120/150/180 (+1 per soul) ⇒ 60/90/120/150/180 (+2 per soul)
- Bonus Attack Damage Ratio: 85% ⇒ 90%
W: Spirit of Dread
- Cooldown: 18 seconds ⇒ 14 seconds
- Bonus Attack Speed: 25/45/65% ⇒ 25/35/45%
- Attack damage: 68 (+3.5/level) ⇒ 68 (+4.7/level)
- Attack damage at level 18: 127.5 ⇒ 148
- Health: 575 (+100/level) ⇒ 575 (+105/level)
- Health at level 18: 2275 ⇒ 2360
- Mana: 316 (+42/level) ⇒ 316 (+50/level)
- Mana at level 18: 1030 ⇒ 1166
Passive: Berserker Rage
- Calculation reworked to give maximum effectiveness at or below 30% health
- Maximum Attack Speed Assigned: 99% ⇒ 40-100% (Levels 1-18)
- Now grants up to 10-30% health steals (levels 1-18), based on Olaf .’s missing health
- Now destroys 20/22.5/25/27.5/30% armor for 4 seconds on champion hit
- Damage: 80/125/170/215/260 60/110/160/210/260
- Minimum range: About 300 425
- Mana: 60 40/45/50/55/60
- Cool down: 7 seconds ⇒ 9 seconds
- Reimbursement of cool-down period on ax pick-up: 4.5 seconds ⇒ 5 seconds
W: Vicious Strikes
- [NEW] Olaf gains 70/115/160/205/250 (+25% of Olaf’s missing health) as a shield for 2.5 seconds
- Now reset Olaf’s base attack
- No longer grants Life Steal
- No longer amplifies Olaf’s healing based on missing health
- Attack rate: 50/60/70/80/90% for 6 seconds ⇒ 40/50/60/70/80% for 4 seconds
- Cooldown: 16 seconds in all ranks ⇒ 16/14.5/13/11.5/10 seconds
- If you hit a champion with a basic attack or Reckless Swing, the duration of Ragnarok is increased to 2.5 seconds. Olaf can renew Ragnarok indefinitely.
- Ragnarok’s passive bonus resistances are no longer lost for the duration of the cast
- Passive withstand: 20/30/40⇒ 10/25/40
- AD Bonus: 15/20/25 (+30% AD) ⇒ 10/20/30 (+25% AD)
- Duration: 6 seconds ⇒ 3 seconds
Passive: Gift of the Drowned
- Damage dealt near multiple enemies: 40% ⇒ 45%
Question: Bone skewer
- Mana: 50/55/60/65/70 74/78/82/86/90
R: Death from below
- Cool down: 120/120/100 seconds ⇒ 115/100/85 seconds
- No longer gives Pyke “Your Cut” in addition to killing gold from successful executions
- No longer gives Pyke an extra “Your Cut” from when allies kill enemy champions within X.
- Damage: 1-3.5% (Level 1-13) (+1% AP) ⇒ 1-2% (Level 1-9) (+2% AP)
W: Battle Roar
- Monster damage bonus: 85-150 (level based) ⇒ 65-130 (level based)
Passive: Glory in death
- Zombie damage to structures: 100% ⇒ 40%
- Armor: 20 18
- Health: 531 500
- Rain mana: 9.34 + 0.85/level ⇒ 8 + 0.8/level
- Mana: 425 470
Passive: rock surfing
- Movement speed out of combat: 20-45% (linear scaling) ⇒ 10/20/35/55% (levels 1/9/12/15)
- Time before passive falls away from walls: 1 second ⇒ 2.5 seconds
- Fixed a bug where Taliyah could lose her passive permanently if she had a spell shield.
Question: Threaded Volley
- Now deals damage within 175 AOE
- Damage: 70/95/120/145/170 (+45% AP) ⇒ 38/61/84/107/130 (+50% AP)
- Additional Stone Damage Reduction: 50% ⇒ 60%
- max. Q damage: 210/285/360/435/510 (+135% AP) ⇒ 98.8/158.6/218.4/278.2/338 (+130% AP)
- Additional stone damage reduction on jungle monsters: 25% ⇒ 60%
- Threaded Volley now deals 150% damage to monsters
- Cooldown: 7/6/5/4/3 seconds⇒6.5/5.5/4.5/3.5/2.5 seconds
- Mana: 50/60/70/80/90 60/65/70/75/80
- Threaded Volley will now continue casting while Taliyah is in stasis
Edited ground changes
- Worked Ground cast is a single hit boulder, hits in a radius of 225 AOE, deals 100% bonus damage (76/122/168/214/260 (+100% AP)) to the primary target and slows down anything that hit by 30/35/40/45/50% for two seconds
- Worked Ground cast has new VFX, SFX, animation and icons
- Worked soil mana: 1 ⇒ 30
- Minimum cool down time on the tilled soil: 1 second ⇒ 0.75 seconds
- Pouring on tilled soil consumes the tilled soil
- Machined Ground Radius: 300 400
- Worked ground time: 25 seconds ⇒ 30 seconds
- The size of the tilled ground on Howling Abyss is now the same as Summoner’s Rift
- Fixed a bug where Worked Ground Q now sometimes got the reduced cooldown
W: Seismic Bump
- Damage: 60/80/100/120/140 (+40% AP) 0
- Knock-up delay: 0.8 seconds ⇒ 0.65 seconds
- AOE Radius: 200⇒225
- Cool down: 16/15/14/13/12 seconds ⇒ 14/12.5/11/9.5/8 seconds
- Mana: 70/80/90/100/110 60/45/30/15/0
E: Unraveled Earth
- Front Damage: 50/75/100/125/150 (+40% AP) 60/105/150/195/240 (+60% AP)
- Damage after four seconds: 50/75/100/125/150 (+40% AP) ⇒ 0
- Detonation Damage: 50/60/70/80/90 (+30% AP) ⇒ 25/45/65/85/105 (+30% AP)
- Damage reduction per mine: 15% ⇒ 25%
- Maximum Detonation Damage: 155/186/217/248/279 (+93% AP) ⇒ 62.5/112.5/162.5/212.5/262.5 (+75% AP)
- Mines now stun enemies who run through them for 1 second
- Cool down: 16/14/12/10/8 seconds ⇒ 16/15/14/13/12 seconds
- Number of rows: 4 ⇒ 6
- Mines per row: 6 ⇒ 4
- Delay in spawning mines between deer: 0.1 seconds ⇒ 0.17 seconds
- Delay after casting time before the first mine spawns: 0.1 seconds ⇒ 0 seconds
- Field duration: 4 seconds ⇒ 5 seconds
R: Weaver’s Wall
- Range: 3000/4500/600⇒ 2500/4500/6500
- Damage no longer knocks Taliyah off her wall
- Cannot cast within 3 seconds of taking damage from an enemy champion or structure
- Dismount: Moving jumps off the wall perpendicular to the direction of the channel ⇒ Moving makes Taliyah jump to the location she clicked, up to a maximum dash range
- Jump of dash range: 400 ⇒ 700
- Jump off dash speed: 1000⇒1200
- Jump from dash now has more forgiveness when attempting to run through a wall
Passive: Revenge live
- Minion Attack Speed Bonus: 10/15/20% (+15% Attack Speed Bonus) ⇒ 10/15/20% (+20% Attack Speed Bonus)
- Champion Attack Speed Bonus: 40% (+30% Attack Speed Bonus) ⇒ 40% (+40% Attack Speed Bonus)
W: Blighted Quiver
- Hit Damage: 7/10.5/14/17.5/21 (+30% AP) ⇒ 7/12/17/22/27 (+30% AP)
- Resistors: 20-60 (linear) 10-75 (backloaded)
- Bonus tower damage now only applies to attacks