From his grim citadel deep in the frozen continent of Northrend, the dreaded Lich King Arthas Menethil sets in motion his conquest of Azeroth and ushers in one of the most unforgettable sagas in Warcraft history. Blizzard Entertainment today announced that World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Classic will be released later this year, inviting players to relive an adventure that has indelibly shaped Warcraft’s ongoing story. When it launches in 2022, this finely tuned re-release of the great 2008 expansion will be available at no extra cost to all players with an active World of Warcraft subscription.
“We are excited to revisit one of the most beloved eras in Warcraft history with Wrath of the Lich King Classic,” said Mike Ybarra, president of Blizzard Entertainment. “The original release of this expansion brought many improvements to the game, along with a timeless villain and an epic story. We will ensure that the authentic Classic experience is preserved for those looking to relive their glory days in Northrend – delivering a dignified and accessible re-creation for those embarking on this massive adventure for the first time.”
Wrath of the Lich King Classic Features
- Just as it rocked WoW during its original release in 2008, Wrath of the Lich King Classic will thrill veterans and newcomers alike with a host of paradigm-shifting features, including:
- The Grim Frozen North: Players begin their journey in one of two zones in Northrend—Borean Tundra or Howling Fjord—and experience some of the most epic vistas and beloved storylines in all of Warcraft before taking the seat of power of the Lich King. Breaking Ice Crown.
- The Rise of Death Knights: Available to both factions and starting at level 55, Death Knights, the first hero class of WoW, use the powers of darkness to fight the evil that threatens Azeroth.
- New Profession – Inscription: This new profession allows players to write mystical glyphs that alter appearance and alter the properties of spells and abilities, as well as powerful trinkets and off-hand items.
- Achievements Unlocked: Achievements are coming to WoW Classic, giving players a slew of new rewards for their exploits and achievements.
- Dungeons & Raids: Relive groundbreaking 5-player dungeons such as Azjol-Nerub and the Culling of Stratholme, and Besiege Naxxramas in a 10-player raid, an update of the original version as a 40-player raid in pre-expansion World of Warship .
Players will be able to create Death Knight characters during a content update prior to the launch of Wrath of the Lich King Classic. All players can create their first Death Knight characters without any conditions or restrictions. (Creating subsequent Death Knight characters on a given server requires an existing character of level 55 or higher.)
Players with no existing characters ready to take on the perils of Northrend can take advantage of an optional level-70 character boost closer to the launch of Wrath of the Lich King Classic. Further details, including pricing and availability information, will be announced at a later date.
For more information about Wrath of the Lich King Classic, visit www.wowclassic.com. Further details, including the timing of the release, will be announced there closer to launch.
About the author